George Singer was works foreman at Coventry Sewing Machine Co. in 1868 when that company built their first velocipedes.
In 1870 he left to join Smith Starley & Co., subsequently starting his own
business in 1874. For some years in the late 1880s and early 1890s, Singer was the country’s largest cycle company, with a comprehensive range of bicycles and tricycles. Around 1920, Singer acquired the Premier Cycle Co and some cycle parts were shared between the two companies.