MAKERS: Components Ltd & Ariel Cycle Co

velocipede COMPONENTS ad

The business that became Components Ltd was established by R.F Hall in 1890. He had previously worked for BSA but had left when BSA stopped cycle component production in 1885 to focus on a large government arms contract. In 1894 he joined forces with Harvey du Cros and Charles Sangster to form the Cycle Components Mfg. Co, which, with the acquisition of leading tube maker Hudson & Co. and rim manufacturers Westwood Wheel Co. and Warwick & Sons, became a leading supplier to the cycle trade. In the same year, Harvey du Cros established the Pneumatic Tyre Co. with J. B. Dunlop in Ireland, to manufacture pneumatic bicycle tyres. A further acquisition was the Ariel Cycle Co. in 1897. The company name changed to Components Ltd in 1902, and they took over Rover’s cycle business in 1912.

It was the company’s ownership of the metal Westwood rim and pneumatic tyre patents that led the American cycle industry to use wooden rims and tubeless tyres

Start Guided Tour

Items in this Collection

1871 Starley Ariel 05

1871 Starley Ariel

View
1894-ARIEL-Goshen-USA-64

1895 Ariel Roadster (Goshen, Indiana, USA)

View
X Frame from the Black Lagoon

1908 Components Ltd Ariel Featherweight X Frame

View
FOR SALE 1908-Fleet-Standard-Racer-copy

1908 Fleet Standard Racer

View
1910s Components X Frame (Wearwell) 0

1910s Components Ltd patent X Frame (Wearwell)

View
X1

1910s Components Ltd X Frame

View
1915_Ariel_Gents_01

1915 Ariel Special Roadster

View
1925_Ariel_03

1925 Ariel Tourist Lady’s

View
1927_Ariel_04

1927 Ariel Tourist Lady’s Bicycle

View
1930_Ariel_Fleet_03

1930 Ariel ‘Fleet’ Gent’s Roadster

View
1930 Ariel Imperial Light Roadster 05

1930 Ariel Imperial Light Roadster (Sloping Top Tube)

View
1930s_Ariel_Ladys_05

1930 Ariel Lady’s Roadster

View
1930s_Ariel_03

1931 Ariel Grande de Luxe Gent’s

View