Peugeot was formed in 1810 by Jean-Pierre and Jean-Frederic at Valentigney. It started with foundry work, then the production of quality saws, with the lion as a symbol of quality.
From 1834 the product range was extended to include tools for joiners and carpenters, forks and coffee grinders.
In 1876 there was a change of name to Les Fils de Peugeot Frères. The first bicycle was produced in 1882.
The first Peugeot military bicycle was actually their normal cross frame safety, which they sold the the French army after it had been superseded by diamond frame models.
A folding military bicycle was desgined by Charles Morel in 1895 in collaboration with Lieutenant (later Captain) Gérard. This machine, known as the ‘Capitaine Gérard’, had double folding down tubes added in 1898 and the rights were sold to Peugeot and Michelin in 1899. Peugeot built and marketed it for both military and civilian use from 1899 until the end of the war.