1900s Leicester Rubber Co ‘Lands End’ Tyre & Wooden Rim
LEICESTER RUBBER CO LTD
Prior to the Leicester Rubber Company’s introduction of the ‘John Bull’ trademark in 1908, their bicycle tyres were marketed under the name of ‘Lands End’ as a result of the publicity surrounding various John O’Groats to Land’s End cycling road records established at the time. The ‘John Bull’ character was coined by John Arbuthnot in 1712 and became a popular trademark for manufactured goods. Leicester Rubber Co changed their name to the John Bull Rubber Co in 1934. After postwar mergers, the firm was eventually purchased by Dunlop.