By 1908, the firm was in a strong position …A 2 3/4hp gentleman’s motor-bicycle appeared for the first time in the 1913 cycle catalogue, nine years after John Marston’s decision that there should be none. But in his eyes the Sunbeam bicycles and tricycles were by then as near perfection as could be obtained – the last design patent had been granted in 1910 – and perhaps design work at Sunbeamland had shifted to the motorcycle, as had happened with other famous cycle-firms such as BSA, Centaur, Humber, James, New Hudson, New Imperial, Premier, Quadrant, Rudge-Whitworth, Singer, Sparkbrook and Triumph …In 1916 John Marston relinquished daily control of the factory.
– From ‘Sunbeam Cycles: The Story from the Catalogues’ pages 201, 202
1913 All-Black Golden Sunbeam for Gentlemen
2-Speed Epicyclic Gears
1910 SUNBEAM CATALOGUE
BRUNSWICK SQUARE, HOVE
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, nearby Brighton had become very fashionable, especially amongst the top tier of British society. The Kemp Town estate there had been a success, and so in 1824 architect Charles Busby entered into an agreement to build houses on land lying at the extreme east of Hove, adjacent to Brighton. This land belonged to Thomas Read Kemp, creator of Kemp Town. Building of the estate began in 1825. The name Brunswick was presumably taken from House of Brunswick, a term sometimes used for the House of Hanover, the name of the British royal family at the time.
Facilities including a market were provided. The market, opened in 1828, was funded by Busby himself but was not a success and was converted to a riding school in the 1840s. It is now a theatre. The centre of Brunswick is a public garden (above). The interior photo below is of 12 Brunswick Square.
ORIGINAL BROOKS ‘B49’ SADDLE
MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR GOLDEN SUNBEAMS
1915 SUNBEAM CATALOGUE