The business that became Components Ltd was established by R.F Hall in 1890. He had previously worked for BSA but had left when BSA stopped cycle component production in 1885 to focus on a large government arms contract. In 1894 he joined forces with Harvey du Cros and Charles Sangster to form the Cycle Components Mfg. Co, which, with the acquisition of leading tube maker Hudson & Co. and rim manufacturers Westwood Wheel Co. and Warwick & Sons, became a leading supplier to the cycle trade. In the same year, Harvey du Cros established the Pneumatic Tyre Co. with J. B. Dunlop in Ireland, to manufacture pneumatic bicycle tyres. A further acquisition was the Ariel Cycle Co. in 1897. The company name changed to Components Ltd in 1902, and they took over Rover’s cycle business in 1912.
Charles Sangster patented his X Frame design in 1901 (below) to compete with Raleigh and Centaur. Though Ariels were sold with this style of frame, the company was a major supplier of cycle fittings, and their X Frame was primarily sold through the trade for other companies to add their own badge. Most of the surviving advertisements for the Components Ltd X Frame are directed at the cycle trade.
1910s Components Ltd patent X Frame
Badged as a Wearwell
Sturmey-Archer K2 gear
This Components Ltd X Frame is badged as a Wearwell. It was restored by John Harvie around 15 years ago, being set up for long-distance riding with the addition of a Sturmey Archer ‘Model K2’ gear. It rides very well.
THE COMPONENTS LTD X FRAME BEING DELIVERED
THE COMPONENTS LTD X FRAME
AS SUPPLIED FOR OTHER COMPANIES TO BADGE THEMSELVES